ou

Sujet Metric halo uln2 3d vs Prism Lyra vs focusrite red4pre

• 8 réponses
  • 5 participants
  • 2 162 vues
  • 6 followers
Sujet de la discussion Metric halo uln2 3d vs Prism Lyra vs focusrite red4pre
Hello!

My situation is I've had apogee Element 24 and focusrite forte(which btw i like more the preamps in focusrite forte) over the years and wanted to take a step up to a couple of good quality conversion

The MH ULN2 3d seemed really nice choise but i have also heared Prism Lyra which i liked

My badget is 2k so i searched the net and found some chineze that tried all these converters and here are the links

https://soundcloud.com/rockoncompany/sets/hear-the-real-tone-2019-iopd

https://soundcloud.com/rockoncompany/sets/hear-the-real-tone-2019-io

And i ended up between apollo x- focusrite red- metric halo and Prism Titan
any day i would pick up the Aurora but its too expensive

i want this interface to record my own songs but with better quality than Apogee Element that its kind of dark sounding with "sweet highs"
When i had Audient iD14 i was satisfied but the latency wasnt good!

But is the focusrite red4 pre really up there with the Metric Halo/Prism/Lynx conversion? Or is it just great for the price?

Im in the process of updating my home studio. I work logic on a Mac so connectivity is not an issue. Has anyone A/B these four recently? I would like to hear some opinions from these links too cause i think these chinese everytime they help me choose..i also asked them the wav files.

Im just lookin for the highest quality sound. I need the best all in one solution, as i dont have any external preamps convertors. Also everytime i want to write one channel either guitar..either vocals

In any day i would take apogee symphonymk2 but its kind expensive and kind heavy )

Thank you so much!!
I'm an owner of PrismSound LYRA 2 and I enjoy everyday with this sound card : conversion, preamp, stability : it's a must have. Sometimes, I use to drive a NEUMANN M149 with the preamp of the LYRA 2 and it sounds very natural & transparent. PrismSound is a very good brand and high-end products.

Caca In -> Caca Out

[ Dernière édition du message le 04/11/2019 à 17:17:48 ]

Prism has a very good conversion quality, but audient preamps really better and latency is only as good as the Audient. I would go with a thunderbolt interface and a dedicated pre if needed. Rednet seems the most up-to-date high end interface.
Thank you so much! What about the metric halo? Did you listen the samples in soundcloud?
Citation :
@chouwap : but audient preamps really better

NO !!! WHAT ???? … -> PrismSound is a high-end sound card with really good (and clean) preamp … and Audient preamp is really a class below. I mixed some takes there is 3 Week ago with différents recordings (voice over) : some recorded into PrismSound Lyra, other ones via Focusrite, and Audient ID … and the purest one wasn't the Audient (did the job but, just enough ..). I don't speak about Metric Halo (good reputation) cause I don't know.

Caca In -> Caca Out

Fmarine conversion in the Prism soundcard is high-end and way better than the one in the Audient, but preamps of the Prism are classic soundcard chips and not an original studio mixer design like the ones in the Audient. I had the two and I found Prism preamps very good, cleans and usables but lacking the character of Audient preamps.

[ Dernière édition du message le 05/11/2019 à 12:15:23 ]

Citation de chouwap :
I found Prism preamps very good, cleans and usables but lacking the character of Audient preamps.

Of course, Prism is all about transparency.

I use Prism Lyra for its super clean AD/DA, for mixing and acoustics measurements. Highly recommended!

Acoustic Designer @ Neutral & Natural Acoustics

Consultation Acoustique -> me contacter par message privé.

The problem is that audient dont have very good latency when you record vocals for example so between focusirite red4pre and prism lyra and metric hallo uln2 3d where would you go?..did anyone listen the samples in the soundcloud?
Metric halo has the most reliable and expandable system of the three. The mio console /drivers has almost 20 years of stability to prove it (through the different gen 2D, 3D)
With the optional edge cards (discount price at the moment at 120 or 240€) you can choose between 4 madi out (128i/o ! ) 4 adats (smux possible up to 32 i/o) and aes8 (8 i/o) all that on top of the 12 i/o already on board.
You can also through ethernet daisy chain up to 12 interfaces without monitoring latency, all dealt by DSP (no impact on computer)
The pre have 72db gain with the ULN2...
The Metric Halo system has zero latency (1ms) if you use the DSP monitoring and the DSP software console (mio console) with the DSP metric halo plugins.
That said I'm certain that Focusrite and Prism are great choices.
But in the end reliability and convenient workflow/routine is also very important, and also long term driver support, which is I was shopping for an interface today I would choose Metric Halo or RME.
(RME UFXII is not mentioned here ... the conversion quality does not have the best reputation...to be honest I freelance in a place with RME boxes and it sounds great)

[ Dernière édition du message le 02/01/2020 à 17:41:08 ]