ou
Créer un compte

ou

Sujet Haunted recording?

• 3 réponses
  • 2 participants
  • 149 vues
  • 2 followers
Sujet de la discussion Haunted recording?
I am having a very weird effect using my Discrete 4 (not the latest Synergy version). I have a single, powered speaker hooked up to it through the Monitor Left output (as recommended with a mono requirement. Most of my work involves just voice, therefore MONO). But when I play a certain music selection (Santana's 'Waiting'), whether directly from YouTube or Spotify, or even from a recording I've made from those sources, I get a very Left channel weighted version out of my single speaker (which should play both channels equally). The organ that comes in at the 25 second mark, is almost inaudible. In my headphones, attached to my Discrete 4, the sound is what it should be...perfectly balanced. The recording of the song plays correctly through my stereo sound system in my living room, as well.

Using the Pan control in the DAW shows the right channel to be very weak, when dialed to the right, but the waveform in my DAW is visually correct, showing a balanced recording.

Could there be a wrong setting in my Antelope Control Panel, ....although all the rest of the music I've recorded, using the same settings, is just fine.

Could someone check out this piece of music through their Discrete 4, into a single speaker, using the Left monitor output, for me. Something tells me this particular track of music has been recorded with some strange setting.
From your description, I would guess that there were some mixing decisions made for that specific track that result in a nice "comb filtering" effect (partial phase cancellation issue) when you collapse both channels in a single mono channel. That can happen with effects relying on the duplication of a signal across channels with slightly different time parameters (i.e. haas delays, stereo reverbs, etc.).

You mentioned the track playing back correctly on headphones, but did you test them with a "normal" stereo signal, or collapsed in mono as well?
Every other album I've recorded sounds perfect in headphones and through my single studio monitor.

I just reset the pan controls in the Antelope Control Panel, from full Left and Right pan, to a +15 and -15 pan. The balance of Left and Right volume seems to be much better, although the separation of channels is less than it was.

I'm just trying to understand what is happening.
I just re-read the reply above, and that all makes sense. Thankyou so much.

If you ever get a chance to duplicate this, message me.