Sujet Test EMU1820M et Emulator X dans SOS juin 2004

• 8 réponses
  • 7 participants
  • 1 118 vues
  • 1 follower
1 Test EMU1820M et Emulator X dans SOS juin 2004
Qq extraits choisis:
sur Emulator X
The Voice processing is extremely impressive, with a dynamic filter, dynamic amplifier, up to three six-stage envelope generators, two multi-wave LFOs, and up to 32 modulation routings. Emu call the latter 'cords', and they are displayed in four groups of nine, each with a huge number of possible sources and destinations, plus a tiny rotary Amount control. Even the cords themselves can be modulated by other cords.
With a large waveform display and an extensive range of editing, looping and DSP tools, Emulator X's Sample display is far more comprehensive than that of any other soft sampler I've reviewed to date.

The signal path is reasonably conventional, comprising an oscillator, filter and amplifier, but there are quite a few interesting twists en route. For instance, the oscillator lets you delay sample playback (useful when layering) and offset the start point (for missing out the transient at the start of a sample), and provides 13 different keyboard trigger modes to suit different mono and polyphonic instruments and playing styles. It also provides stereo chorus (although this doubles the number of voices used) and nine different glide (portamento) shapes.

The LFOs must be the most versatile I've seen, with 17 different waveforms including the usual suspects plus Octaves, Fifth+Octave, Sus4 trip and Pat: Neener (all of which provide simple arpeggios), Sine 1,2 and Sine 1,3,5 which combine several sine waves, Sine+noise, and the stepped Hemi-quaver.

The six-stage envelope generators can be set up using rotary controls or by clicking and dragging in the graphic display window, and you can start from a range of templates, to which your own designs can be added. In fact, every graphic display has its own template options, making design work much more pleasurable. As you might expect from its VSTi capabilities, many aspects of the Emulator X engine can also be sync'ed to tempo, including envelope times, LFO frequency and delay time, and oscillator delay.

For me, the highlight has to be the filter section, which goes beyond any other software synth/sampler I've ever used. Two thumbwheel controls for frequency and resonance, plus a graphic display, hide the massive 53 different filter types on offer. These cover all the classic low-pass, band-pass and high-pass types, but then move on to comb-filter responses of phasers and flangers, and complex responses with multiple peaks. In some models the frequency control is replaced by a control that morphs between two filter responses such as vocal cavities while the Q controls body size; in others, both controls may move multiple peaks in opposite directions, or change the frequency of some and the gain of others. Whether you want throaty 'talking' voices or ethereal movement in your sounds, I guarantee that if you've not come across Emu's filter set before you'll be blown away by it. I was also really impressed at the way Emu had managed to make so many Voice processing controls so accessible in a single display and yet so easy to use — far easier than the Gigastudio Editor for instance.

la conclusion de l'article:

During the last eight years or so I've reviewed over 60 different soundcards for SOS, and as you might expect, it's not often that they surprise or impress me any more. After all, many soundcards are permutations on existing designs, adding a mic/guitar preamp here and there, or providing the same set of features at ever lower prices. Many companies have tried to produce a soundcard with versatile I/O and DSP effects, but few have succeeded. Lexicon's attempts were too expensive for most and finicky about their PC host, Yamaha's DSP Factory was launched with very little software support, and Creative's own Audigy cards were hampered by confusing software and engine limitations.

In my opinion Emu are the first company to have got it right with their 1010 PCI card range, and have done so at prices that will result in some dropped jaws from their competitors. At an entry-level price of just £149.99 you can have extensive, freely configurable DSP effects as well as up to 32 virtual ASIO outputs with the basic 1212M stereo analogue in/out configuration, all at exactly the same high quality as the 1820M under review here. However, anyone considering the 1212M would be foolish not to pay the extra £70 for the incredibly versatile Emulator X software bundle with its 2GB library. Personally, I think Emu could cut also the hardware ties and sell loads more copies of the software by itself to those who've already bought soundcards.

If you have more ambitious I/O requirements, the versatile 1820M under review here should provide enough for the majority of users, especially since its ADAT I/O would let you add another eight analogue ins and outs by buying a third-party converter box. However, I do feel that the 1820 will become the poor relation, since for just £50 more the 1820M not only provides around 8dB more dynamic range and a flatter frequency response, but also the added features of the Sync daughterboard. Some potential users might consider a Firewire or USB 2.0 solution a better long-term purchase, but the basic PCI format is likely to be around for some years to come, so I don't personally think this is a worry. Overall, the 1820M and Emulator X bundle is the most impressive 'soundcard' that I've had the pleasure of reviewing for several years, and I've no doubts that it will sell and sell.
Up
Ca m'a l'air du tout bon ça. Alors, les utilisateurs de l'emu 1820M, toujours ravis de votre achat ? Ou ça cache quelque chose ??
Argh ! Guy ! tu sais pas encore que je suis une bille en anglais ???
Toujours happy de l'avoir (1820M) :D:

Moa c'est moa !

Ouais j'veux bien prendre une demi heure pour ça....mais en résumé c'est bon ou pas...j'sais que ca se résume pas à ca mais qd même un peu
J'ai fait l'effort de lire la synthése et effectivement le type semble nous dire que cette carte marque son expérience ...faut il le croire sur parole...j'le connais ni 'Eve Ni D'avant ....
En bref, :mdr:

L'auteur de l'article présume que EMU a fait un produit excellent concernant le 1820M, que L'émulatorX est très bien aussi. :(((

Il pense que, malgré la tendance FireWire et USB des produits émergents, la version PCI a encore de beaux jours devant elle :bravo:

Au fait EMU est présent dans le marché du sampler et musical depuis + de 20ans :oo: :P: :8) :bravo:

à moins qu'il ne s'agisse de l'auteur ..... :???:
Selon vous, est-ce que la 1820M n'est pas trop haut de gamme pour connecter mon lecteur dvd à la carte son et la cson à un preamp Rotel 24b/192 Khz, donc utilisation uniquement de ce port ?