Allen & Heath Inpulse One

Sujet [English] Inpulse One Users?

• 7 réponses
  • 3 participants
  • 1 329 vues
  • 2 followers
1 [English] Inpulse One Users?
Sorry for the English posting!

This is one of the few sites to mention the rare Inpulse One drum machine. If you have found this site because you use one, please add yourself so I can find how many users there are remaining!

I am looking for sample tapes, hardware and information. My Inpulse One is serial #1045M, in excellent working order but missing all tapes. I have a manual and PDF brochure.
Hi richard, i have one of these (almost) unknown machines ! it seems that in France there are not a lot of owner of the AHB inpulse one, mine is serial 1024, and it doesn't work very well (a problem with the battery inside i think)
see u
I'm sorry that yours is another failed unit - it does seem they all end this way, eventually. So we have 1024, 1045 now - and one more I have yet to trace the serial number of which is also dead. I wonder if mine really is the only working one left in existence!

They sound incredible, for such a rare beast.
wow it's really difficult to find some audio demos or videos to see the inpulse one in action ...
I'm curious about that thing

keep it real !

I am restoring - slowly - a unit that belongs to Bob Henrit, one of the people behind the system (and former drummer with The Kinks/Argent). There will be demos and videos eventually - also I have some of the sample tapes archived. I have not forgotten the system, though my studio page is now epically out of date!
Serial 1058 is now undergoing restoration - a new battery has caused some erratic and interesting behaviour as the voltage comes up and I wonder if the original battery is not the 3.6V memopack it appeared to be. Missing three outputs - the sounds are present and can be copied from ROM on a silent pad to RAM on a working one, and the pads work and trigger.

As you work on these it becomes clear just how well engineered they are!
If you want to learn more, find samples to download (audio and data to load in the machine):

https://www.geextreme.com/InpulseOne/

Mine's now working almost perfectly - there's 100mA fast blow fuse on the PSU board that had gone, and that was causing some erratic behaviour; the 400mA external fuse that protects the -5V line also blew, that caused the pads to not respond. The battery area of the PCB is not very complex, so even extreme leakage should be repairable - of more concern at the ribbon connectors, they corrode inside. They unclip by pushing the clips outwards, pushing the ribbons out of the sockets, and can be cleaned then.

For 256KB RAM install 8 256K x 1 M5M4256, MT1256/1257 or similar 16 pin NMOS DRAM chips, -150ns or faster I believe will work.