Prix public : 500 € TTC

Sujet Help Sonar x1 and Qcon

• 14 réponses
  • 3 participants
  • 5 628 vues
  • 3 followers
1 Help Sonar x1 and Qcon
Hello,
sorry if i prefer to write in English, i can speak French but to write without make violence to the language is a match.
I hope someone will help me cause i decided to buy the Qcon few days ago, firmware version 1.03, working in the Win7 64 bit environment.
I tested the unit with cubase 5.1 with great results, perfect mapping, lcd display and so on but not with Sonar X1 Producer, my preferred DAW.
Considering the Mackie Control compatibility, i've try to configure the Icon Qcon in the control surface panel as "Mackie Control" but the reply is "Connecting..." with no results.
I've try different configuration and the working one was the "VS700" Cakewalk control surface but without the display support (nothing on the lcd display except the selected Daw name. Some botton are not correctly mapped.
Jogwheel, play/rec, mute, solo, rec are correctly mapped and working but the result is not the same as in Cubase.
The Qcon is giving only half a part of the potential.
I've try to ask to Cakewalk without reply's, the same with the Icon local (Italy) and Global support.
Considering the high number of Sonar users it seem a pity not to have a full support. It seem a firmware problem, probably they didn't yet implemented the Cakewalk specs but i'm not sure, theoretically it shoud be Mackie Control compatible.
I know in this forum there are experts and someone is in touch with them in Hong Kong, if so i would appreciate yours and their advices or ideas.

Many thanks in advance and Happy 2012 in music.
Vincent

[ Dernière édition du message le 03/01/2012 à 16:40:24 ]

Hi !

I'm really sorry to have to tell you that there is no Sonar implementation as of yet for the QCon. I guess Sonar users should ask iCON to implement it, but they should gather before doing so, in order to have more weight. If there is enough asking for it, then they might do it......or not.

The Winter NAMM will be held soon and there should be some news from iCON at this moment. Maybe a new firmware revision with (this is what was announced some time ago) HUI support for Pro Tools and maybe other new things.

But nothing's for sure.

Maybe you should have had a look at the specs before buying it. The problem now is that it is not really usable as is with Sonar.

Cheers.
Jérôme
thank you Jerome, yes i took the risk to try and i'm 50% satisfied cause the main functions are working.
It is limited at the moment, it is as a BCF2000 but with a very good feeling and best quality.
I think they can implement using the cakewalk sdk without too much effort cause part of the Mackie standard is already used in the vs700 mode, incredible.
To come back to cubase 5.1 is a possibility but the sonar x1 at the current stage of updates is very good. I don't know the comparison with cubase 6 (i hope cubase 6 is supported by the qcon).
What do you think about ?
I have 12 sonar projects and i don't know if the moving is feasible without a lot of troubles and spendings.

Bon soir
Vincent
Hi !

As it works as an MCU clone for Cubase, it does work with C6, yes.

Using the Sonar SDK would mean creating a custom implementation of the QCon and a plugin for Sonar. The device doesn't work this way (as opposed to the Frontier Alphatrack, for example) so I guess it won't work this way.

If Sonar can work with an MCU, then the implemntation could be modified accordingly, but it needs a new firmware revision.

It's up to you what DAW you prefer using.

I'll pass the link to this thread to the persons at iCOn in Hong Kong. Just in case.

Cheers
Jay
Hi !

Found some info about your problem with Sonar X1 not detecting the Mackie Control. It seems it is a bug and Sonar needs to be updated in version 1c. Some guies with "real" MCUs had the same problem (only way to have it recognized being to choose VS 700 in Sonar, solved with version 1c).

Try this. Then start the QCon in Cubase mode and check what each button does in Sonar.

You may compare Cubase and Sonar MCU lexan overlays to try and map the Cubase buttons into the Sonar ones and then should find the corresponding functions.

Cheers.
Jay
Thank u so much !
I will try.

Vincent
Hi !

How did it turn out eventually ?

Other Sonar users might like to know, so please, keep us posted.

Cheers.
Jay
Hello,
a very good member of the Cakewalk forum gave me this suggestion.
I've see the reply only today so i've not yet make the try but it sound good.
The problem seems to be related to the Sysex reply the Qcon is not sending when Sonar verify the unit while chosing the Mackie.
The workaround is to send the sysex command.
Step by step:
- switch on iCON QCON: Cubase Mode
- Run SONAR
- Open a Project(or crate an new Project)
- Press "P"(Preferences) and click Control Surfaces
- Change your In Port to your second MIDI Port and click OK
- Connect your MIDI IN of your second MIDI Port with your MIDI OUT of your second MIDI Port (I know it's bad!)
- Press ALT+SHIFT+7 to open the SYSEX-View, create a new SYSEX: F0 00 00 66 14 1B 58 59 5A 00 00 00 00 F7 (save it!)
- send the SYSEX to your second MIDI (The faders of the QCON move and the Display show some information!)
- disconnect the "MIDI loop" of your second MIDI port
- Set the IN Port of your Control Surface back to "iCON Qcon Ver1.0x" (Preferences --> Control Surfaces)

It will work for sure but i hope Icon will simplify the life to the users upgrading the firmware cause it is not so difficult to do. The problem is that they don't reply to the mail. If you have a good contact please use it. They can sell a lot of unit more.
The very good surprise was using Sony Vegas. The Qcon works perfect in Mackie emulation mode. You can mix audio & Video tracks, looking at the display informations etc.. Fantastic.

Regards
Vincent

Hi Vincent !

Yep, I replied on Gearslutz and gave the link again. yes, that was me ;o)

I asked the question at iCON. Unfortunately, it seems it is not possible for them to have the QCon work with Sonar like a real Mackie as they cannot have it send the specific sysex (simply because the QCon is not a Mackie control and therefore cannot send a Mackie sysex ID number). And sonar needs this handshake message to work with the MCU.

If it does work, please keep us posted so that other potential users might be interested in this workaround.

Also, tell us exactly what works and what does not once the workaround has been established.

Cheers.
Jay
Hello, thank you Jerome for your quick reply.
Yesterday i was finally able to see that the workaround works fine !
Everything is working and also the display is showing the Sonar informations as with cubase.
I must understand some differences in the mapping (master, vsti for example) but nothing serious.
The improvement is great and i suggest to use the workaround.
At the same time i hope the firmware will upgrade cause a sysex command cannot be copyrighted, or i hope Sonar will do as Sony Vegas (works perfect) accepting a Mackie Emul.
My problem now is another......... Unfortunately after one day of hard work on the Qcon the second fader is no more touch sensible, while the others are fine, and it appear a serious problem. (power off/on and also the firmare re-flash but nothing) !!!!
A real pity. Have you a suggestion ?
Thanks in advance.
Vincent