Sujet Bientôt le juno-60 dans le system-8 et le Cloud Roland

• 2 réponses
  • 2 participants
  • 479 vues
  • 2 followers
1 Bientôt le juno-60 dans le system-8 et le Cloud Roland

A 2'23"
c'est parti!!

https://www.roland.com/fr/support/by_product/system-8/updates_drivers/c93a7151-922e-43c5-a752-9f270461389d/

Update history
[ Ver.1.31 ] FEB 2021
Additional Function
JUNO-60 PLUG-OUT is now supported.
Bug Fixes
The following bugs were fixed.
When using the JUNO-106, switching from POLY to MONO/UNISON while holding a keyboard key depressed results in the sound continuing to play even after the key is released.
When MODEL is switched with JUPITER-8 and something else, ARPEGGIO operation sometimes fails to be switched correctly.

Citation :
High-level take:
1) Sound: System 8 sounds VERY close to the Juno 6. Fairly equivalent, but differences can be heard.
2) Feel: No contest. The Juno 6 has the feel of a luxury synth, the sliders are lovely, the keys are lovely. The System 8 feels like an M-Audio midi controller from the mid 2000's.
3) Look: No contest. The Juno 6 looks incredible. The design is just up there. It is iconic. The System 8? It would not look out of place in a gamer's den with an Alienware computer and Mountain Dew strewn about.

Overall experience:
Based on the above, I can't help but just FEEL differently about the two instruments. Roland did an excellent job on the System 8, there's no doubt about it. It sounds very good and does a LOT more than the Juno 6, that is clear. The sound IS there. The problem isn't how it sounds, but how it is experienced.

Sure, I can 'play' a Juno 60, or Juno 106, or JX3P, Jupiter 8, System 8, or any number of other plug-outs. They sound very good (although my experience with the JX3P is that the Plug out is not quite there). I believe the Juno 60 plug out sounds better either because it is newer, or because it is simpler than the JX3P. This makes me suspect the Jupiter 8 plug out might not really get there either (as it is a 2 oscillator synth). There only exists one comparison out there on Reddit, and I don't think the person owned both.

The biggest difference in the sound to me was when I threw the resonance to max and the cutoff to zero with envelope amount and decay and sustain to max. The Juno 6 was much darker (i.e., more closed filter) than the System 8. I would have close down the envelope amount on the System 8 to match. You hear that in the demo. The chorus 1+2 is pretty different too.

Where the sound ends, you are met with a blast of the rest of the experience. The look could not be any further from the Juno 6. We go from classic to garrish. That is a hard pill to swallow. Some seem to like it - and that's great. There's nothing wrong with liking how it looks. I personally do not like how it looks (although if I change the green to mint green on my videos, it does look cooler).

I don't really like the fact that the upper chassis is made up of one plastic mould. I prefer the upper part of the panel to be separated from the mod wheel area. On the System 8, you just see this long panel reaching down from the top to the bottom by the mod wheel and I personally don't like how that looks. It looks cheap.

The FEEL or experience is so largely different. The System 8 just feels cheap to me. The keys don't have a nice feel, sometimes sort of sticking too. I want to open mine up and use white lithium grease on the keys, maybe that would help. The Juno 6 feels like playing a nice instrument. The metal panel, the sliders, the keys - oh the keys feel so nice. Apparently they're the same as the JX3P and D50 based on that "Ultimate Keybed Thread" but I have all three and the Juno 6 feels MUCH nicer.

Conclusion: I know I'm complaining a lot about the System 8. The truth is it does in fact sound very good. When I first got the Juno 6 I said to myself that it was a huge mistake because the System 8 sounds identical. The differences are not big enough for me to prefer the Juno (unlike the JX3P, which DOES sound better than the plug out). The Juno has a much better 'sweet spot' but only because it's range does not go as wide/far as the System 8. Is that a good thing that the Juno 6 has more sweet spots because it limits its ranges more? I don't know.

One intangible thing. I cannot explain this, but when I play a System 8, even if it sounds good, I wonder "Is this really how the real thing sounds/feels?" My brain just doesn't accept the System 8 as the proper surrogate. I think I'd have the same thought regarding the Jupiter X. Or with a VST for something that I care about. It's probably like chasing goblins in my head. There is no answer. If you want a Juno or a Jupiter, you will likely never be satisfied with the System 8 or Jupiter X...

The answer is likely something greater than your desires. It is probably related to mindfulness and acceptance that we can't have everything. I'm still working through these thoughts myself.

« What is full of redundancy or formula is predictably boring. What is free of all structure or discipline is randomly boring. In between lies art. » (Wendy Carlos)